Friday, January 14, 2011

The Terrible Twins

First of all I want to say I love twins, as does my daughter and sons or any "multiple" for that matter. In fact of late we have had the privilege to get to know some in a more personal way and love them dearly .....but these twins are of a different nature.....

It wasn't until a friend of mine called them out and named them that I realized I had really let them take over. They are in the same camp as Thing 1 and Thing 2 of The Cat in the Hat ....reaking havoc not with my house but with my mind...whispering thoughts of "later" and "better" into each ear. Just when I think I've successfully conquered the one who likes to lurk over my computer and whisper "a little later" in one ear when I begin to write a new blog entry ... he summons his partner to come in full force to discourage me with an "it could be a bit better"... even after I've thoughtfully written, carefully edited and reviewed etc and am gathering the courage to press the Publish Post button.

I knew I wanted to start a blog ...I have been blessed in so many ways...and if something I can pass on to others will inspire you and possibly lead to life changing knowledge through this high tech, far-reaching medium I want to do that. But what I didn't realize at the time I started is that "blogging" would be great therapy in my breaking free of the terrible twins called "Procrastination and Perfection." Do they lurk in your house too? And wait.... did I say they didn't reak havoc with my house....oops!

A Thought to Think: My husband probably gave me the best phrase to tell "Perfection" as he recognized that I will probably always see how something could be different , better, more creative and therefore be tempted to delay it or fail to finish it. He encouraged me to say...

"I know I could add, or change or do something different but it's GOOD ENOUGH so just do it ...

1.....2......3.......PUBLISH POST

4 comments:

PippaDavies said...

Don't let the terrible twins take over Laura. Just do it:) Your rock!

Anonymous said...

In the scrapbooking world there is a saying that 'done is better than perfect'. While I agree with the statement the stacks of unfinished projects in my home tells me it's easier said that done. I guess twins run in our family...Keep up the good work, your blog is great.

Camille said...

Thoughtful post. Yes, *Perfection* and *Procrastination* live here too. But, how wonderful to just *relax* and *live* too...may the LORD give us the balance in all these things. :)

Many blessings,
Camille

Dawn said...

I am glad you pushed passed the twins. I am waiting to hear more about lunch on a banana leaf.
You are an awesome story teller. Like my Dad said about my working she is a great worker if you can get her started. Maybe it is in the genes. Dawn

Post a Comment